Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Run in the Ruff

A quick update on things in my life that are not adoption related. I am finally getting over being ill, apparently a sinus infection and not strep. Either way, it wasn't good!

Saturday I ran a 10K (6.4miles) in Milaca. I didn't come in first, and I didn't come in last... so all in all it was a good run. Oh, except for the part where I find out what a "trail run" really is. The name of this run "Run in the Ruff"... someone (who shall remain nameless) failed to find out that "Ruff" roughly translates into English as "3.2 miles knee deep in mud". I can't really say I ran the 10K because it's hard to officially RUN in mud. The really funny part is that for the first 100 yards of the run I tried to steer clear of the mud to keep my shoes clean, little did I know I would completely give up this task around the end of Mile 1.

As I ran Mile 1, I kept thinking, I wonder what lessons there are here in running that can be applied to life. Something about running on the trail? Maybe something about passing people, or about endurance? Nope, all I could think, "If you can't beat 'em, join em." So I decided to run directly through the mud. The only lesson I learned was the obvious, it's dangerous to try to run around mud, puddles, and water on a trail in the woods, just run directly through it to maintain your health and safety. - I'd do it again.

No comments: