Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Once upon a time...

All good stories start with "Once upon a time..." and those same stories end with "and they all lived happily ever after!" so I am going to stick with what I know.

If you are reading this you probably know me and know a little about my family. So, I am going to start this story where I think it began. For about two years Trenton and I were asking ourselves if we were really done having children. We asked each other, we asked ourselves, our children asked me, and our children asked Trenton... we even had someone offer to check into the cost of a vasectomy reversal for us. The itch, the feeling that something wasn't quite the way it was supposed to be, was there. It's not like when you lose something important or when you are sad or grieving, but more like when you organize your desk and something is just not in place. You notice it, sometimes you are reminded of it, but it doesn't make you sad and you don't really think about it all that often... but you know something is just not right.

On a Sunday morning in November of 2007, we had a busy day planned. Trenton scheduled a meeting with his contractors in Maple Grove, the meeting was near Trenton's parents so we planned to drop off Angelisa and Naven, then head off to the meeting and then on to watch the Packer vs Viking game with our friends, and neighbors, the Mack's. -I am going to pause to point out a couple of important facts about the 2007-08 season and the November 11 game... the game was at Lambeau, the score was 34-0, Packers win. How great was that game? In the end, the 2008 season closed with the announcement that Brett Favre was going to retire. What a season! - Sorry, back to the main story, so on this day in November, as Trenton and I made our way to Maple Grove, our conversation turned again to the idea of expanding our family.

I recall asking Trenton the following (keep in mind my loving husband is a marriage and family therapist - and a good one too!), "Do you have clients who wonder about having children like we do? Do the clients wonder if they should expand their families, do they come to you and talk about it for two years? It is a phase, do all couples go through it, and if we wait it out it will go away?" My loving husband, who as I mentioned is an excellent therapist, replied that in fact he had never had that issue come up in therapy.

Our conversation continued and resulted in deciding that we would investigate our options for expanding our family.

No comments: