Today is that special day of the year when mother's are honored for all the good things they do and are. As we proceed in the adoption process, there are many new ways to reflect on this special day. Whether someone is a mother because she is called so by her children or because she desires to be a mother and has the heart of a mother, she deserves honor and respect for this important role she plays in our village.
I share the journey of adoption with many others. Some who make the journey already a mother and others who make the journey to become a mother for the first time. The interesting part is that there is no difference in the excitement and passion between those about to experience motherhood for the first time or those who are about the experience it for the tenth time.
A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. ~Washington Irving
My mother is my friend; the person I turn to first with good news and bad. I have always appreciated her willingness to listen through the insanity I often create in my own life. For example taking on a new job, deciding to run a triathlon (or two), starting an adoption journey all while being a full-time working career woman, mother, and wife. Obviously, I bring some of my pain and suffering on myself. But when a piece, any small or insignificant piece, isn't going quite the way I expected, I know I can call on my mom to listen through it. She wouldn't be a good mom if she didn't remind me that maybe I am over doing it, or maybe I should think through things before proceeding, but in the end she offers 110% support for all the things I do.
A daughter is a mother's gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of her self. And mothers are their daughters' role model, their biological and emotional road map, the arbiter of all their relationships. ~Victoria Secunda
I am a daughter and have a daughter. We are gender partners, all three of us. Allies always, adversaries sometimes, but fully aware of that our bond surely will help guide us on our journeys in life. May I be aware enough to take all of the wisdom offered by my mother and use my own experiences and add to that wisdom and pass it all on to be an even greater gift for my own daughter. And may she add her own wisdom and pass it on to those who she loves in her life!
I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~Abraham Lincoln
No comments:
Post a Comment