Tuesday, September 23, 2008

This is it.

In just 24 hours I will be rushing to make sure every last item is ready to makes it's trek to the airport. Each bag continues to work over time, carrying just more than it's own limit and in some cases just more than the airline's limit. I intend to do some sweet talking to get those suitcases on at no additional charge. This stuff is going to orphans in need! There are medical supplies for children in a country where malnourishment is causing death in the youngest children. (How does that sound?, do you think they will take my story?).

All suitcases have been re-weighed. We do hope to be granted a couple pounds of allowance. You can bet I will be looking for the nice, smiley lady to check us in!

Yesterday does represent a typical day lately.
"In His Grip" Sister and I talked about 4 times yesterday (remember she lives near my parent in WI and we are going at the same time to pick up our little Ethiopian Prince and Princess). We are both clearly on the verge on insanity. Her flight is causing us a little anxiety as she doesn't get a lot of layover time to get to her next flight. I told her I would delay the flight as long as possible, but would have to stop at landing myself in jail. I don't know if anyone has flown lately, but fellow fliers get a little freaked out if you don't follow ALL the social norms that we related to an airplane or being inside some one's personal bubble.

Work went something like this: Meeting, decision, delegate. Meeting, decision, delegate. Talk about adoption, make a phone call about adoption, respond to 10 e-mails about adoption. Delegate adoption "work" (I have a friend (co-worker) who is working to create an itinerary for our day in DC (this is so helpful, many thanks to you). Answer some work e-mails, attend another meeting, determine what from the meeting I can delegate... then go home.

At home, assess packing situation, print our more documents for my "travel guide" (for those of you who don't know the "travel guide" is my own extensive list(s) of information about everything I might want to or need to know about our trip, itinerary, maps, directions, phone numbers, DC itinerary now included, with maps, and a/b/c options for the day, tips on the local language, copies of any/all legal documents that might be needed... it's huge).

Trent and I spent a good amount of time talking with the kids about when we leave, reminding them who will be here with them and when we will return home. Angelisa continues to ask if she can come along (Who started this? JB or McSturm - thanks a lot!). And when I remind her and explain that she cannot come along, then she wants me to stay home. I know they will do well, I think they are equally, if not more, excited to meet their brother than Trent and I.

Anyway, Soul Sister came over, we did a final round of recheck on suitcase contents.I hope we don't have to unzip those things again! We usually end our Ethiopia Preparation Sessions by eating a bowl of ice cream... that didn't happen last night, I think we are all too excited.

Trent and I spent the minutes before bed discussing how we are feeling (ohh, we are the funny little communicators) and clearing up any misunderstanding about information for the trip. I think we are back on the same page now.

Sleep - or kind of sleep. Rise again at the crack of dawn (actually it is still completely dark out). Here I am at the blog, and e-mail, and forum.

I think today might look a lot like yesterday. And tomorrow will be a shorter blog just to let you know when we are running out of the house to the airport.

NOTE:
To everyone who has sent best wishes and prayers, thank you. We continue to need and greatly appreciate your support. Keep sending up the good vibes and prayers. The next 48-72 hours are going to be some of the hardest we have endured so far.

My running theme: Patientce - is waiting contentedly. I will see if there if there is a lesson from Mr. Patience in these next hours. I want to learn, and I know my teacher will arrive.

No comments: