Font page:
No new news on the adoption front (see below for more info).
Sports: Tuesday I biked 40 miles. Forty, 4-0. Now, I have no idea why anyone would want to bike that far if there is not money or a prize involved. Nothing, just a leisure activity. Why? I don't know why. But I would do it again. It felt great (we've already confirmed I am crazy, so why fight it). It was the most stress relieving activity I have ever participated in. I felt like a new person. Forty miles ending at a friend's cabin, where a one hour nap ensued. After the nap, back on the bikes for a short ride to a cheeseburger. Now I have to admit, I think this would make a great triathlon: Bike, Sleep, Eat. If that were an actual event I bet I could come in second or third, at least! I feel an Olympic event coming on. Beijing here I come!
Career: Work is great too. First team meeting today, with my new team. It went well. I guess I should have asked the team to give a rating at the end of the meeting so I could accurately report how well it went. I thought it went great, I am really excited to work with this team. But I don't know if they feel the same (just because I don't know, not because anything went wrong). Anyway, great people; I can't wait until the work with this team is my main focus, my main focus at work. I do already miss my "old" team. I made friends, I will get to see most of them on Monday. I am looking forward to that. I am lucky/blessed/fortunate to work with such great people. And I am finding that I like the cube I am sitting in (Scott Adams would be so disappointed in me), there are great people close by there too. Though I did briefly think a cube neighbor was going to hit me with a billy stick (is that what they call it, someone e-mail me if I am using an incorrect name or term for that big stick cops carry around). Anyway, I am jumpy and he swung the "billy stick" over the cube wall. Apparently it was actually a fishing pole, I don't know, it almost gave me a heart attack. Now that, Scott Adams could use (Dilbert author, for those of you who don't know).
Travel/Entertainment: There is a Salmon fishing expedition in my future. This event will be chartered by my brother. I received a complete report yesterday about the weather, water temperature, fishing time, location, and potential "catch of the day". I was given information about the best way to dress, eat, drink and medicate (ginger pills??) for this adventure. Apparently, in the worst case scenario, I will be dressed like I am going ice fishing, with a wind chill of cold air coming off the lake that may make it feel less than forty degrees. Best case scenario, warm weather, calm waters, and King Salmon on the line. I keep thinking about the show "Deadliest Catch". The main goal is to get on the water, catch a fish then say, "Wow, I can't believe we did that".
Adoption: On the unofficial list we are #7 waiting for a court date. Our country specialist says we are in the next "batch" of people who will get a court date. If I had to guess we will have our court date assigned next week and it will probably be for July 14 or 17. If that all works we are still looking at travel in late August. Today I decided I was done waiting, I just want to go get him. I have watched that video so many times. I just want to go get him (did I say that already?). When I watch the video I see a child, and another child, oh yeah there's that other kid, and then there is MY SON. Mine, he is mine. I want to go get him. I could get a flight to Ethiopia next week, it would cost a small fortune, but then I could hold him. I e-mailed my social worker, I told her I needed info, some info, any info. She e-mailed me some links to read, I guess that's info so I sure can't complain. Not exactly the info I was looking for, but I can't fault her, she exceeded my expectations considering she can't offer me a court date or a plane ride. Based on the links she sent, a future blog topic will be about why it's important to notice and celebrate culture and diversity.
Money and Business: Trent has started a woodworking business in addition to his full time career. He is making adirondack chairs.
Classifieds: Adirondack chairs for sale. If you are interested e-mail me.
Weather: Minnesota, it's summer. 80 and sunny. Ethiopia, it's the rainy season. It's raining.
Trivia: Milaca has an interesting meaning in Greek (per my mother). Unless you have biked forty miles with me from Milaca you are not allowed to ask me the meaning - it's trivia, look it up.
Funnies: (There isn't much humor related to adoption that wouldn't offend someone, including me. I am NOT out to offend, I thought this was PC and a little cute - also a great lead-in to my future blog about celebrating diversity)
A little turtle begins to climb a tree slowly. After long hours of effort, he reaches the top branches of the tree. He jumps into the air waving his front legs, until he crashes heavily into the ground with a hard knock on his shell. After recovering his consciousness, he starts to climb the tree again, jumps again, and knocks the ground heavily again. The little turtle persisted again and again while a couple of birds sitting at the edge of a branch, watched the turtle with pain. Suddenly the female bird says to the male, "Dear, I think it's time to tell our little turtle he is adopted."
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
40 miles? Why didn't you just bike here to visit? It's not much further. (Farther?)
I believe they're called "Billy Clubs," but I could be wrong. If they're not officially called that they should be. "Billy Stick" sounds too nice to me. Especially if you're getting hit with it.
The salmon adventure sounds fun. I keep thinking about asking your brother to take me sometime, but then I imagine it would be like my trip to Canada and I would just sleep on the boat all day and work on my tan... And still catch the biggest fish. So I guess it wasn't a waste. I got the biggest fish plus a tan. WOOT!
Per Kaylie the "Billy Club" is actually a Whip!
Post a Comment