As mentioned in previous blogs (see June 6 blog), Tamene's full name would be announced soon. Here it is directly from the letter I recieved tonight:
Finally.... :)
I had several thought processes behind how to pick Tamene's middle name and perhaps the biggest reason came before I even knew I would be blessed with this wonderful opportunity. When Kami and I went to 6th grade Home-Ec class a wonderful young man was in our class. His name was David. Everyday David would make being in class fun. We got to see the male perspective of Hom-Ec class from how to bake a cake (I think that was via Country Store), sewing (throw it away), to child rearing (babysitters are a good option here). One of the most pertinent memories I have (and we still laugh about this to this today) is always getting in trouble when we'd cook something and everyone would each pick food out of the same bowl. "There are no community bowls allowed in class!!!" Which when you're 11 years old was one of the most meaningless statements ever made. Who has germs at age 11?! Who cares about germs at age 11? David always had a funny comeback!
A few days after we graduated high school David was involved in a horrible car accident. He lived in a vegetative state for 10 years before passing away. David, although a relatively small part of my life, was and still is very memorable to me. He was so caring, funny, intelligent and warm hearted. I often thought if I ever had a son I'd like to include David in his name.
Let's speed up to the present. After Kami told me they were looking into adoption I jokingly emailed her "Do I get to name the baby?" Her response floored me, I have never been so touched by the beautiful email she sent back to me. I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it. She told me about how she has always thought of me as her sister, even going as far as including me in her family tree in college. Her and Trenton would be honored for me to pick the middle name. I couldn't believe it!! I was only joking! So out I set on my journey....
In looking for a middle name for Tamene I couldn't find a named I liked. Tamene means trustworthy in Ethiopian. Kami and Trent left the decision completely up to me on whether it would be an American name or an Ethiopian name. After much thought; I decided it would be a good idea to give him an American name in case in his future he wanted to go by a more 'common name'. I spent many hours on the internet looking for a name that would go with trustworthy. I looked up names that meant spirit, or soul, but nothing seemed to fit. I went as far as to look at every boy baby name on one website.
I asked Kaylie [my daughter], to help me look for names. She had a few that she liked, but when we looked them up they didn't seem like a good match. I then looked up the name David which means beloved. That's how Kami's email made me feel: Loved. I started to break apart the name David. Angelisa shares the i, Naven's name has the v, Kami is the a, but nothing for Trenton. I didn't want to leave Trenton out, how fair would that be? This wonderful family is opening their hearts and home to bring in a precious gift, I wanted everyone to be included. Then I found the name Davidson, we got the o for Trenton! I was so excited!! I did it. By naming him Davidson everyone already in the Peterson family will truly be a part of his middle name. (Has anyone yet made the Harley Davidson connection?) But....Davidson? Is that a little to unique? Is it ok with them for name to be Tamene Davidson Peterson?
I called Kam, I needed input. We talked through why I choose it, what it meant, and what it meant to me. He could go by Davidson, David, Dave. She loved it (really, she was just as giddy as when she called me on June 11th to tell me she was flying out to go get him because he was so cute and she had to have him this very minute!), now I just needed Trenton's buy in. We talked about it, I again explained my thought process behind it and left it up to them. A few hours later Trenton called back, they liked it. I was so excited. What an opportunity for me to be included in this wonderful life learning experience!
To Tamene: I am so excited to meet you! I can't wait to hold you in my arms and love you just as much as I love the other two Peterson children.
Tamene Davidson Peterson, welcome to our family!!!
The most touching part of this letter is the fact that he is welcomed to "our family" which includes these precious souls who helped chose the name!!
With the utmost gratitude and honor we will bless our child with this name and all the special meaning included.
Edited: Just as a point of information I found the following: Tammana - Amharic, “he was trusted; he relied” I found this name - I bet it is Tamene - his language is not written/documented as I understand it, so spelling is a guess. Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and this spelling gives another perspective on the pronunciation. I look forward to hearing his mother say his name.
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment