Friday, June 13, 2008

Irony in waiting contentedly

So there has been a running theme in my blogs about patience. I was thinking God was teaching me a lesson about patience - waiting contentedly.

I think I have been putting in a lot of work as it relates to waiting contently. This is a very difficult task for me. Waiting for me is some kind of strange torture - good news or bad news, I just have to know, what now? or what next? I hate waiting. Also, I've decided to blame my mother and grandmother for my lack of patience. Why would I blame these wonderful women? Because I never waited for a birthday or Christmas present in my life. My birthday is in December, but round about June I might "neeeeeed" a new pair of jeans, and grandma would buy it as an "early birthday present". Then sometime in October I had to have that new winter jacket, my mom would agree that I should have it right then and there and buy it as a Christmas present. Now keep in mind there would still be plenty of gifts from them on my birthday and under the Christmas tree, which I was usually allowed to open one or two days early :-) So, as I am sure you can agree, this childhood trauma is what causes me to have little or no patience.

When I experience trials in my life (which are usually brief inconveniences) I remind myself that God does not give us more than we can handle, and I also remember that God will teach me a lesson through my trials (read again "brief inconvenience").

So, in reading my blog and looking back, I see many days of "agony" in waiting. I see that I am working so hard at understanding how God is teaching me about patience. I wonder what it means that many people wait 7-10 months for the referral of their child and I only waited 6 weeks????

I decided that I am a fast learner and God taught me the lesson in record time.

(If anyone else wants to place bets on the fact that I might have cracked if I waited one more day, please consider the opportunity to start a pool regarding my sanity if I have to wait more than 8 weeks to travel to go get this little boy).

No comments: