Thursday, July 31, 2008

Post #67 A flashback of Random Thoughts

We wait for the birth certificate.
Waiting is hard - I am back at some strange "nesting phase" I am organizing lists and paperwork. Here I attempt to clean up my blog.

As I clean house in "Before I Knew You" ...

I have several blog posts that I started but did not complete. These are here for my own record and not intended to be followed by the reader (though there is a line or two of humor below). The post on donations, should not be considered a solicitation, this was an idea I had, but decided to take another approach - if you are interested in donating feel free to do so.


8/1/08
While we try to teach our children all about life,Our children teach us what life is all about.~Angela Schwindt

There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child. ~Frank A. Clark

7/25/08
Looking for a little humor I did a quick search for humor in the news. Seriously you can't make things funnier than real life can make it for you.

Headline:
Angry man shoots lawn mower for not starting.

I thought this was funny, but when I realized this guy was from Wisconsin it some how made it even funnier. Maybe the picture of the "accused" was the icing on the cake. I won't describe this man, but he does seem to bring to mind the same vivid image I get when I listen to Jeff Foxworthy's, "You might be a redneck". "You might be a redneck if you think you're going to show your mower who's Boss by using a shortbarrel shotgun when it decides to 'play dead'."

Headline:
Underwear chicken dare puts man in hospital

An Australian man's dare went horribly wrong when he tried to play chicken with cars on a freeway wearing only his underwear. The 18 year old was critically injured after being hit by a four-wheel drive on a freeway

7/19/08
The fine folks at our agency have informed us that we are legally the parents of little Tamene. We are incredibly excited, it feels surreal.

The next step in the process is that our agency blessed us with another round of waiting and paperwork (feel the love). I am not sure how much more waiting and paperwork I can take before my head pops off.

I am officially the mother of three children.

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. -1 Samuel 1:27

6/26/08
Word of the Day Thursday June 26, 2008
Today's Word
Cockaigne \kah-KAYN\,
noun:An imaginary land of ease and luxury.
Outside, in the dark, a wobbly patch of life upon the blue snow, the deer perhaps browsed, her soft blob of a nose rapturously sunk in the chilly winter greenery, her modest brain-stem steeped in some dream of a Cockaigne for herbivores.-- John Updike, Toward the End of Time
Everyone was seeking renewal, a golden century, a Cockaigne of the spirit.-- Umberto Eco, Foucault's Pendulum
Cockaigne comes from Middle English cokaygne, from Middle French (pais de) cocaigne "(land of) plenty," ultimately adapted or derived from a word meaning "cake."

6/25/08
To all our family and friends,

We hope that you and your family are well. As you know, we are in the process of adopting a little boy from Ethiopia. We are still waiting for our “court date” (this will get us a better time frame for travel) and we hope that we can travel this summer. The process of choosing Ethiopia as the country we’d adopt our son from was an important decision . Once we decided on Ethiopia, however, we wanted to better understand the country, its culture, its people, and the issues it faces. Ethiopia is a beautiful country rich in history and culture dating back to the dawn of civilization. However, modern Ethiopia suffers from massive poverty and there are an estimated 4.5 million orphans (more than the entire population of Los Angeles, CA). Many of the orphans have lost their parents to the AIDS pandemic and other diseases. Many of the common diseases and illnesses that we come across every day in our country can often be fatal in Ethiopia due to extreme poverty and the lack of basic medical care. Also, due to extreme poverty in Ethiopia, many families decide to relinquish their children because they cannot provide even the most basic needs for them. An Ethiopian child is 30 times more likely to die before his or her 5th birthday than a child born in the west. Half a million children (500,000) under the age of five die each year (one child per minute) in Ethiopia because of illnesses such as malaria and measles, as well as pneumonia, diarrhea, and malnutrition.We are dedicated to providing support to a couple agencies that we feel are doing good work for the children and families of Ethiopia. One agency that we support is African HIV Orphans: Project Embrace (AHOPE) (http://ahopeforchildren.org/) which takes care of children that are orphaned and HIV positive. AHOPE was originally founded to care for HIV+ children until they died of AIDS. In the early days, a child was not accepted into care unless the staff could afford a funeral for the child. Then in September of 2005, lifesaving antiretroviral (ARV) drugs were made available to the children of AHOPE and the children began to thrive, grow, and simply LIVE. It was a miracle of enormous magnitude. As the children grew healthier, their needs changed and now AHOPE’s focus has expanded beyond the basics such as nutrition and medical care, to education and even preparation for adulthood. AHOPE now reports that over twenty children they cared for are now home with their adoptive families and at least twenty more are in process.Also, our adoption agency, Children’s Home Society and Family Services (CHSFS) has a number of on-going projects (http://www.childrenshomeadopt.org/Ethiopia.html) that provide healthcare, housing, education, and other necessities for children and their families. In order to do this good work, these agencies need support and supplies. We are asking family, friends, and co-workers to consider making donations to one or both of these two worthy agencies. Any donation, no matter how small, will make a difference in a child’s life. One generous way of donating would be to sponsor a child at AHOPE for 6 months to a year at $30/month. You can do this individually or as a group effort with others. Sponsoring a child would provide the child with lifesaving antiretroviral (ARV) drugs.

Ways to donate to AHOPE:

• Make a (tax deductible) cash donation to AHOPE through the agency’s secure online donation form at: http://ahopeforchildren.org/ (left side of page, “Direct donation” link). One option is for sponsoring a child at AHOPE.

• Make a (tax deductible) cash donation to AHOPE by making a check out to “AHOPE for children”. You can mail the check directly to us and we will forward it to AHOPE in late May.

• Make a donation of medical or other supplies (see list below). Gina will coordinate picking up donations over the next month, and then will be taking these donated items with her to Ethiopia to deliver directly to AHOPE’s facility (located next to our agency’s facility) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.Ways to donate to CHSFS’ projects in Ethiopia:

• Make a (tax deductible) cash donation to CHSFS through the agency’s secure online donation form at: http://www.childrenshomeadopt.org/Ethiopia.html (bottom of page, “Online Secure Donation” link). On the form, be sure to direct your donation to “Other” and then specify in the comments box which Ethiopia project you would like to support (see http://www.childrenshomeadopt.org/Ethiopia.html for the project list)

• Make a (tax deductible) cash donation to CHSFS by making a check payable to “Children's Home Society & Family Services” and designating on the memo portion of the check which specific CHSFS project you would like to support (see http://www.childrenshomeadopt.org/Ethiopia.html for the project list). You can mail the check directly to us and we will forward it to CHSFS in late May.

6/14/08
Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes. ~Gloria Naylor

I do miss my daddy. He is the image of a warm shelter when I need protection from the world. What a great man! I wish he could be here with me everyday. I know I would be a different person if it weren't for him.

5/24/08
If you have some time, view this video by a National Geographic Photographer, Celebrate What's Right:
http://www.celebratetraining.com/

Celebrate what's right with the world.

What's here to celebrate? What are the possibilities?

The adoption journey allows the adoptive family to expand and grow and share their love. It allows those families who may otherwise not have the opportunity to raise children a new and revived hope and excitement. The adoptive family is given the opportunity to be blessed by and learn from another soul in a way that otherwise may not be possible. The adoptive family is able to connect with another family in away that may otherwise may not be possible.

No comments: