Wednesday, July 30, 2008

It's in the doing

Travel to Ethiopia appeals to us for many reasons. First and foremost, of course, is the union with our new child.

Additionally, travel to Ethiopia allows us to learn about the country our child comes from. We will learn about the culture, food, people, the land. And the excellent opportunity to meet Tamene's birth mother. Some of our friends or family have asked why we need to travel. People wonder why someone doesn't just bring him to us here in America. Bringing our son home is only the begining of this adoption journey, not the end, especially for Tamene.

- on a side note, I went to a Travel Clinic today to ensure I have premium protections from any possible encounters with bugs, bacterias or other illness causing matter. My doctor today was from Ethiopia, how unexpected was that???? We spent about 30-45 minutes talking about Ethiopia, adoption, our adoption agency, and then about 5 minutes making sure I had all my immunizations. It was great. He taught me some Amharic and told me a lot about the culture and why some children end up in an orphanage. The most important part of this appointment, to me, was the doctor's repeated attempts to ensure I could say Tamene's name correct. I think we are now on pronunciation #3, likely this one is accurate or at least the most accurate that we will get until we meet him. Tah-men-ah or Tah-muh-nuh not that there is a variation in the pronounciation, but that it's hard to figure out the best way to write it phonetically. My poor dad keeps practicing the name, I feel bad to tell him we might still have it wrong. I just want to be clear now, we will expect people to learn to say it correctly (those with accents will be given some leeway).

Back to the exciting event of traveling to Ethiopia - today I talked with my mom about her trip to Turkey and the first time she met my dad's family. She said so many things made sense to her that had not made sense in the previos 20+ years of marriage. Why my dad thought eggs and fresh tomatoes makes a great breakfast, where my dad got his looks, his intelligence, his ability to dance and sing (if you know my dad you will find some humor in that last phrase - I love my dad!!) In any case, my mom feels that our trip to Ethiopia will be priceless in our ability to relate to and understand our son. My mom knows this, she has lived this, I trust that she sees many things in my future that I have not yet imagined.

So, Trent and I will have the great priveldge of expanding our family on this trip. Additionally we will be trying to learn about a new culture and people, in a new place (my one trip to Canada cannot be considered international travel), with new food, and the pressing need to remember EVERYTHING so that we can relay it to our son as he grows and asks questions. WOW! That sounds like a lot to manage... too much to manage. My wild imagination plans for all this as well as any other possible worst case scenario, lost luggage, illness, lost ID, upset or sick child. So Trent and I asked ourselves, how will we manage all of this and still find a way to enjoy this very special time with our son. We decided we needed a helper. Someone who has been close by and knows what I know about Ethiopia, knows what I know, and more, about adoption, knows about health and illness (a medical professional perhaps), someone who can tolerate the new food new, culture, and possible lack of restroom facilities. Someone who knows me well enough to tell me when to pull it together and when to let me lose it. Some one who is willing to spend about 70 hours in airplanes and airports in one week. The list of requirements goes on and on. Many people I know can handle one or two of these aspects, but all of them? Maybe my mom... nope she just had surgry and has zero interest in being on a airplane for 24 flight hours one-way. Maybe Siter-In-Love - no just can't ask her to leave her child that long. Maybe someone in Trent's family - no, they have a lot going on, and it's a lot to ask, just to come take care of me and Trent. Maybe someone is interested, maybe someone has mentioned they would come with - Yes... Soul Sister. She is a nurse, comes from a family who adopted, knows everything I know about this process and Ethiopia (because I make her listen to me ramble on). When we didn't know where we were going or how or when, she said maybe she could come... I need her to come. Imagine the change that Trent and I will experience during this time, how could we do it alone, why would we? We know many other families who take a friend or "guide" or family member.

All of these things are important, very very important and the main reasons we decided to ask Soul Sister to join us on this trip. But in the end I think the most important part will be the witness to the event that she can bring home with us. Since we asked her to travel she has coordinated medicine for travel and helped me to follow up on my packing and other to-do items. She has made sure we have numerous precautions from those bacterias, etc. that I mentioned earlier. She has been excited with me and said with me and she has waiting with me, and I am so glad that Trent and I have asked her to join us.

If a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it. ~Edgar Watson Howe

Soul Sister thanks for your interest and willingness to make this journey with us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kam; What a wonderful person your soul sister is to make this trip with you and be your right hand helper!!That is what I call about the greatest friend anyone could ever ask for...Now you can understand how it is with my "Soul Sister." It has been 33 years that we have shared about every emotion there is. Our lives are so entertwined..I pray your friendship will last that long or longer..I just envy her that she gets to see our boy before I do...Some days I feel the waiting will never end.. The day your return plane touches down on U.S. soil is the day my mind will settle down and rest...
Soul Sister: Thank you for being there for my grandaughter.. Also my heart goes out to you at this time...I am so sorry..

Anonymous said...

Kam, you know that I am only doing for you and Trent what you would do for me and J! I am more than excited to make this journey with you! I love you!

J