Dictionary.com has about 40 definitions for the word "pack".
The first definition is: a group of things wrapped or tied together for easy handling or carrying; a bundle, esp. one to be carried on the back of an animal or a person: a mule pack; a hiker's pack.
Let me just tell you from there, the definitions get even more obscure from the activity I am working on. "Easy Handling", who are we trying to kid? We are going to haul four, 50-lb suitcases, two "carry-ons" and a purse, 7675 miles, I don't think "easy handling" applies to this kind of "packing".
You might wonder how long we plan to be gone, or what it is that we could possibly be taking that would require about 260 lbs of luggage. We will be gone one week - ok, nine or ten days with the flight included. The problem is in the planning of the packing. I am guessing that if I would pack 2 days prior to leaving I would have a lot less stuff. But no, I have been packing for two weeks and I have another 8 weeks or so before we would even possibly leave. As I mentioned, the problem is in the planning of the packing, which has already been going on for about 6 weeks. You can create a lot of lists in 6 weeks. And I have bought almost everything on every list.
Specifically, the problem is that I have borrowed, copied, and stole some of the lists. They come from people traveling with infants, some traveling with two or more children, some traveling with older children. Some travel in the summer, and some travel in the rainy season. Some have traveled before, some are first time travelers. I have their lists. Granted there is not a lot of diversity in the lists, but each one has over 100 line items, and some lines say to bring 6 things (i.e. 6 pair of socks). Now if each list has 20 or so varying items it doesn't take long to have the List of Lists, that is way too comprehensive. I have to remind myself I am not moving to Ethiopia, just making a round trip.
So what's being packed? Well, let me give you a few "funny" examples of items that are packed, but I just don't know why.
Zip lock bags - not really a bad item to pack, but I have large, extra large, small and medium sized. I believe there are a total of 5 boxes of zip lock bags. These are in addition to the two roles of garbage bags I have packed too.
Toothbrushes - Again, not a bad idea. Fresh breath is probably appreciated in all countries. However, I have packed 6 brushes. As a reminder there are only going to be three of us. This is due to a list error that has me packing a toothbrush in the carry on and in the checked baggage.
Duct tape - Seems like a good safety net item to pack, it's just that I have traveled many times and have never said to myself "now why didn't a pack the duct tape?"
Diapers, pull ups and underwear for Tamene - I have 70 diapers (per several lists this is the magic number). In the event Tamene wears underwear, we have plent o'underwear and if he is potty trained ,apparently a pull up is highly recommended to avoid a blow-out while traveling on the plane or in country. - It just seems a little like overkill - but it is on the list.
Anti-diarreal meds - I have Imodium, Pepto-bismol, and prescription strength meds. Apparently the prescription strength is not good enough for me?
Soap - I have shampoo, tear-free shampoo, body bar soap, face bar soap, soap wash cloths for my face, soap wash clothes for Tamene, and a soap for extra sensitive skin. I have dish soap, laundry soap, and "bubbles". We should all return with that Irish fresh scent.
Clothes for Tamene - not sure what size our little bundle of joy will be wearing, so we have 24 month shirts, 2T shirts and 3T shirts. We have shoes in a 6 1/2, 7 1/2 and 6/7. We bought two pair of the same pants one in a 2T and one in a 3T.
I'll cut it off here, the list goes on and on (there is also humor in the number of batteries I have packed, but I'll spare you the details).
Now, before you mark me as certifiably insane, you should know that most, if not all of these duplicative items can and will be donated to the care center or guest house. If we don't use them or don't want to bring them home we can and should leave them there.
AND it is strongly recommended that if we have additional room in our luggage (there might be 2-3 square inches), that we bring donations for the care center. You see, they don't necessarily have access to the same medical supplies, shoes, and health care type products that we do. Soy formula, they just don't have it there. So, parents who are traveling each bring what they can. You see the beautiful little faces and you can't imagine them not having exactly what they need. They don't have their momma there, the least we can do is bring some toys and formula! So needless to say, each suitcase will be filled and weighed to ensure it is packed as full as possible!
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment