Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Two posts for two days left: in honor of my most "dedicated reader"

I know Grandma Babe likes to check this blog ten times per day, even though I generally only post once. So this post is dedicated to Grandma Babe, first for being my "most dedicated reader" second for being the first one to respond to my request for a note (letter, story, quote, etc) to Tamene in a previous blog post. I will post all of those letters and notes together, but I want to make special note of the one from Grandma Babe.

Several of you have mentioned you will send a letter, note, quote, etc. I really, really appreciate every one's willingness to share in this journey. Please do take note that it kills me not to have a deadline for when these will arrive, please feel free to send them soon (ASAP :-), and I don't want to hear anything about how you don't know what to write, or you can't write very well, this is post #53 for me... I am only asking for one or two lines from you :-). The purpose of this is not as much content, as much as find a way to represent yourself in a documented way as part of our journey - a picture or song would be as welcome as anything. I know you can do it; you know you can do it!

I have mentioned Grandma Babe in an earlier post. For those of you who don't know, that is really what we call her, it is not a name made of for this blog, "Grandma Babe". I did post a bit of information on her back on April 5. A great woman, if you have the honor and privilege of knowing her, you would never, ever forget her. We love her for her honesty - ok, "straight-forwardness" is probably a better way to say it than honesty. I have to decline to use the word honest, since she allowed my brother and I to drive without a license, she hid my brother's car accident (prior to legal driving age) from my parents, she might have kept a couple (read a LOT) of "secrets" for people, and she has the ability to tell the truth 100 different ways if it will protect her family or friends. I don't think it compromises her virtues at all, but I am just saying - straight forward is a better descriptor. She tells it like it is period - unless she has to tell it in another form of truth - I think you get the picture. She is a great woman, your are privileged if you are her family or friend, and cursed to be her enemy. So don't, don't be her enemy, or the enemy of her tribe - make note, it's just not a good plan. I'll move back from my tangent...

Grandma Babe's letter to Tamene:
My Dearest Tamene and 7th great grandchild; I cannot wait to meet you, hold you, spoil you, for I love you already. In everything I do you are in my thoughts. When I first knew you would definitely be coming into our life and family the thought that constantly runs thru my head is; I WONDER...When I talk to your mom my conversation is, I wonder; How are you going to react the day her and your daddy get there and can finally hold you... Are you going to stay with them while they are in Ethiopia going thru the final stages of bringing you home...Are you going to be afraid of an Airplane...Are you going to be afraid when you see a television...are you going to be afraid of your brother and sister, who look and talk different than you...are you going to be afraid when you see a bathroom inside a house...are you going to be afraid of the toys that walk and talk by themselves...Your mom said to keep this short but if I would have to write everything- I WONDER- about it would almost be a book. As we all go thru our daily lives I WONDER how many could put themselves in a position of thinking, If I were to go thru this process would I ever think of how many thousand things there are to deal with and WONDER...Inconsequential things, that we don't even think about. I see your beautiful smiling face in my mind and heart, Tamene. Until we meet----I LOVE YOU! Great grandma-babe

See she does love him! She does say "I wonder" in every conversation about Tamene. Some days I think her excitement exceeds my own.

Grandma Babe is one of my heroes - along with my mom, dad, and loving husband (and on a bad day Dilbert):
A hero has faced it all: he need not be undefeated, but he must be undaunted. - Andrew Bernstein.
I am sure I do not know all of the obstacles and trials she has encountered in her life, but I know she has been through more than some of us would dare to imagine. I see her, sometime she celebrates, and mostly she stands strong. She is indeed human, like all of us she has her moments where I think she may have her regrets, sorrows or perceived failures. But, to me a hero, not undefeated by some of her trials, but indeed undaunted!

I love you Grandma Babe - now go back to bed! I won't be posting again until morning :-)

No comments: